Barcelona have deemed Samuel Eto o s surplus but the Cameroon international stiker s impressive performance in the pre-season has led his teammates and some fans to ask the Spanish club to reconsider.
The entire team backs him. He s one of the best in the world. I don t know what is going on with the club but he s very important to the team, French striker Thierry Henry said Sunday after Barcelona beat Mexican side CD Guadalajara 5-2 in a friendly in Chicago.
Eto o contributed two of the goals after coming on as a substitute in the second half, the first one just four minutes after he hit the pitch.
The 27-year-old, Barcelona s top scorer in the Spanish league last year with 16 goals, has scored three times in four pre-season matches.
Eto o was one o…
Diego Maradona has backed Lionel Messi to continue the impressive start he has made since taking over the Argentina captaincy.
Alejandro Sabella raised a few eyebrows in the South American nation when he gave the Barcelona forward the captain s armband, with some observers worried Messi did not have the right attitude to lead the team.
The 24-year-old has made a great start since replacing Javier Mascherano, however, with the team recording three World Cup qualifying victories out of five and just one defeat against Venezuela.
Writing for Ole as his country prepare to take on Brazil in the United States, Al Wasl coach Maradona repeated his admiration for the player he trained in the 2010 World Cup and said he had more than earned the right to lead the team. …
Juventus will take a slender advantage into their Coppa Italia semi-final second leg against Atalanta after securing a 1-0 win at a fog-laden Stadio Atleti Azzurri d’Italia.
Massimiliano Allegri s side did not quite show the form that had seen them win their previous eight games a run that has seen them concede just one goal but comfortably held their hosts at arm s length for much of the match.
Gonzalo Higuain clearly buoyed after ending his six-game goal drought against Chievo on Saturday got them off to a blistering start with a fine goal after just three minutes.
The hosts rarely threatened their more illustrious opponents, but Alejandro Gomez wasted a golden opportunity to pull them level in the 24th minute when his penalty was thwarted by Gianluigi Buf…
West Ham have rubbished a report stating manager David Moyes is likely to leave the club at the end of the season regardless of whether or not they avoid relegation.
The former Manchester United boss took over on a six-month deal after Slaven Bilic was sacked in November and has overseen a mixed bag of results.
Moyes took four points from back-to-back home games against Chelsea and Arsenal in December, but a run of one win in five Premier League matches has left them just three points above the bottom three.
A report in The Daily Telegraph claimed the Hammers are unlikely to extend Moyes deal even if he guides them to safety, but the club insist no such decision has yet been made.
The club would like to place on record that it categorically refutes the…
Teofilo Gutierrez has fond memories of facing Uruguay and the striker is determined to heap more misery on Colombia s South American rivals.
The River Plate forward scored twice in a 4-0 hammering of Uruguay in a FIFA World Cup qualifier in September 2012 and will get the opportunity to repeat that feat in a last-16 clash at the Maracana on Saturday.
Uruguay are still reeling from the suspension of their talisman Luis Suarez for biting Italy defender Giorgio Chiellini on Tuesday and Gutierrez wants to inflict more pain on Oscar Tabarez s men by dumping them out of the World Cup.
Gutierrez, who was on target in Colombia s 3-0 win over Greece in their opening game in Group C, reflects on his double against Tabarez s side with great satisfaction and is eager to make…
Hull City have confirmed the signing of winger Tom Ince on a two-year deal.
Former Liverpool man Ince had previously been at Blackpool but spent the second half of last season on loan in the Premier League with Crystal Palace.
With 22-year-old Ince out of contract at Bloomfield Road, he had been linked with a move to Serie A club Inter where his father Paul played for two years.
However, he has now moved to the KC Stadium on a two-year contract following Robert Snodgrass and Jake Livermore to the club with Hull also confirming negotiations over a fee will continue due to the player s age.
Due to the player’s age, negotiations between the Tigers and Ince s former club Blackpool over a compensation fee continue, they stated on their official website.…
Ronald Araujo has withdrawn from the Uruguay squad for their two upcoming friendlies after suffering a thigh injury during Barcelona s win over Real Madrid on Sunday.
The defender was able to complete a dramatic 2-1 El Clasico victory for the Blaugrana at Camp Nou, but he will not face Japan on Friday or South Korea next Tuesday.
Barca revealed Araujo underwent tests on Monday and discovered he has done damage to his left adductor.
The 24-year-old scored an own goal to put Madrid in front, but Sergi Roberto equalised just before half-time and Franck Kessie s late winner put Xavi s side 12 points clear of their fierce rival at the top of LaLiga.
Uruguay will also be without attacking midfielder Giorgian de Arrascaeta.
Diego Hernandez and Sebastian …
Aston Villa head coach Steven Gerrard admitted to being extremely worried about Diego Carlos after he sustained an injury in the 2-1 victory over Everton.
The 29-year-old made his Premier League debut for Villa in the defeat to Bournemouth last week and retained his spot for Saturday s triumph against the Toffees.
Signed from Sevilla for a reported £26million, Diego Carlos suffered an injury and had to be replaced by Calum Chambers with just seconds remaining – with Gerrard revealing it did not look good for the defender.
I m extremely worried about it. It does not look good right now. He needs a scan. The medical staff are very worried, said the Villa boss.
It s tarnished how I feel. Let s not say [it s a huge blow]. I m worried about it. It s rou…
Fatih Terim hailed Arda Turan as Turkey s best player on the eve of their Euro 2016 campaign despite the midfielder s struggles at Barcelona.
Turkey kick off their Group D campaign against familiar foes Croatia at Parc des Princes on Sunday and their status as underdogs for the match is bound up with Turan s fall from prominence, following his dazzling spell at Atletico Madrid.
The 29-year-old joined Barca despite the Liga champions being under a player registration ban last year, meaning he was unable to make his debut until January.
Turan then failed to establish himself as a fixture in Luis Enrique s richly gifted first XI, while he found himself cast as a scapegoat for poor performances in some quarters.
Veteran coach Terim was flanked by highly toute…
Argentina captain Lionel Messi expects United States will give his side a very difficult match in the semi-finals of the Copa America.
Messi set two goals up and scored another on his first start in this year s tournament as Argentina beat Venezuela 4-1 to book a last-four spot.
The Barcelona star has now drawn level with Gabriel Batistuta as Argentina s joint-record goalscorer on 54 strikes, but Messi is focusing on the semi-final.
It s important for what it means to be the top scorer because it s Bati, but what makes me happier is the team, the result, because we made it to the semis, Messi said.
I liked the personality of the team and that we always go out to be the protagonists.
The United States try to get close to you, to attack, they …